Life On The Green
The First Congregational Church
The first meeting house of Norwalk’s First Congregational Church was erected in 1659 at the corner of East Avenue and Fort Point Street. The current building, at the corner of Park and Lewis Streets, faces Norwalk Green from the west. It was built c. 1924, replacing the 1848 church on the site that was destroyed by fire in 1917. The meeting house on the Green before that was burned by the British in 1779 during the Revolutionary War.
Norwalk Concerts & Events On The Green
Grab a blanket and fill the picnic basket, there are concerts all summer long on The Green!
St. Paul’s Episcopal Church
The previous church building was replaced by a frame Carpenter Gothic structure that stood until it was torn down and replaced by the current church on Norwalk Green. The cornerstone was laid on November 12, 1927 and the church was consecrated on June 9, 1930. Visitors reach the church through its ancient burial ground (see photo) from St. Paul’s Place, a short street along the northern boundary of the Green.
The Norwalk River Valley Trail
The Norwalk River Valley Trail extends (or will eventually extend) from Norwalk to Danbury, Connecticut through Redding, Ridgefield, and Wilton. More information at http://www.nrvt-trail.com